John Henry Boalt was an attorney who resided in Oakland, California in the late 19th century. His widow, Elizabeth Josselyn Boalt, donated funds to the University of California in 1906 to construct the original Boalt Hall on the Berkeley campus. After graduating from Amherst College in 1857, Boalt attended the University of Heidelberg School of Mining and was a member of the Signal Corps in the Civil War. Boalt was also a lawyer and a judge. Boalt Hall, the building which houses the University of California School of Law at UC Berkeley, is named after him.